Metso Outotec is launching a digital optimiser for its wet gas cleaning solution, the Editube™ Wet Electrostatic Precipitator (WESP), as part of its plan to further improve the quality of sulphuric acid production for its clients.
WESPs are a necessity prior to sulphuric acid plants processing metallurgical off-gas to ensure a high-quality acid, according to Metso Outotec. The Editube WESP, meanwhile, has a very high removal efficiency potential where dust levels in the outlet are commonly measured at below 0.5 mg/Nm3.
The new WESP Optimizer improves the operation of the WESP section by better adjusting it to changes in the overall process, the company explains.
Leif Skilling, Director, Gas Cleaning at Metso Outotec, said: “We are excited to launch the new WESP Optimizer. It has important built-in functions to protect the units with plastic tube bundles during low acid load operation. In addition, the Optimizer increases removal efficiency during high acid load operation, as well as provides energy savings whenever there is spare capacity. The Optimizer also monitors the behavior of each WESP, enabling faster damage detection, and provides the operators with otherwise unavailable information such as calculated removal efficiency.”
Metso Outotec says it has more than 35 years of experience with WESPs and has sold more than 125 units. This extensive experience of the Metso Outotec experts is now incorporated into the new WESP Optimizer.
Benefits of the Metso Outotec WESP Optimizer include:
- Reduced risk of damage to plastic tubes during low acid load conditions, start-up, and commissioning;
- Energy savings whenever there is spare capacity;
- Higher removal efficiency and lower flashover frequency during high acid load conditions;
- Provides operators with otherwise unavailable information;
- Monitors the WESPs for abnormal behaviour, enabling faster detection of damages and facilitating troubleshooting; and
- Enables faster and more accurate online support from Metso Outotec experts.