Sandvik has launched the xSeries family of rotary and DTH drills, as it looks to offer a “migration path” to its iSeries of drill rigs.
The xSeries is built upon the proven design and reliability of Sandvik’s diesel-powered rotary blasthole drills and features added intelligence and improved operator ergonomics, according to the company. “This provides operators with the right balance of reliability and technology to drill the perfect hole safely,” Sandvik said.
Highlights of the xSeries, according to Sandvik, include:
- Touch screen GUI interface featuring the Sandvik Automation Module (SAM) offering the following options:
- Health monitoring system – replaces old style shutdown switches and enables continuous, real-time measurement, allowing the operator to take the necessary actions in advance of any alarm situation;
- Same hardware and software components as the iSeries machine including a 7 inch (17.8 cm) mobile-grade rugged touch screen and latest generation PLC;
- Improved user experience – enhanced control system features (as found with the iSeries machines) reduce troubleshooting time and increase availability. Familiar Sandvik “look and feel” graphical user interface reduces the learning curve.
- Compressor Management System (CMS) Lite electronic controlled compressor system;
- Oversize driller’s window offers a “superb view” of the drill table during operation and improved visibility during tramming;
- Bolt-on mast locks eliminate cutting and welding, making mast change-outs easy;
- Swivel-enabled operators seat with integrated electrohydraulic controls simplifies operation and offers improved visibility of operating environment.
Jacques Britz, Vice President, Surface Pedestal Drills, Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology, said: “For decades, customers have counted on Sandvik to develop the most durable products in the market – rigs that will be able to work at a mine site for decades.
“In developing the xSeries, we’ve taken our customers’ feedback into our research and development efforts and are proud of the newest addition to our product line.”
Sandvik says the xSeries offers a migration path to the iSeries “should the customers’ business needs dictate”.
iSeries drill rigs are equipped with Sandvik Intelligent Control System Architecture, which provide a wide range of functions for maximising performance and precision in drilling, and have features for fully-automated face drilling, optimised penetration, boom control systems and comprehensive tools for drill planning, reporting and analysis, the company said.